I have one of those week to a page diaries, which has an inspirational saying at the beginning of every week. “Inhale Confidence, Exhale Doubt” was the saying for this week, and it got me to thinking about how much we as business owners can allow doubt to creep into our everyday activities, how we second guess our decisions, and if we allow it, what a negative impact that can have.
Imposter syndrome can be a common feeling among business owners, but it is important to remember that it is a completely normal and common experience. It is the feeling of inadequacy or self-doubt, in spite of external evidence of success. It can manifest itself in many different ways, such as feeling like a fraud, doubting one’s own abilities, or feeling like an imposter in one’s own business.
So here are my top 5 tips on how to overcome these feelings:
- Recognize that imposter syndrome is actually a common feeling and that you are not alone in experiencing it. It is important to acknowledge that imposter syndrome is a normal part of the human experience and that it does not reflect your actual abilities or worth as a business owner.
- Seek support from other business owners or a mentor. It can be really helpful to talk about your feelings with others who have gone through similar experiences. This can help you feel less alone and more supported in your journey as a business owner.
- Set realistic, achievable goals and celebrate those successes! It does not matter how small those victories are, taking the time to acknowledge and celebrate them can help build your confidence and combat imposter syndrome.
- Practice self-care and take some time out for you! It might just be meeting up with a friend for coffee, or taking time to play a round of golf or have a yoga session with friends. Remember to focus on your goals and that you are supposed to be having fun, so be kind to yourself and look after YOU.
- Remember, no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes from time to time. When mistakes happen, forgive yourself, keep perspective, and view this simply as an opportunity to learn and grow.
By following these tips, you can begin to overcome imposter syndrome and build the confidence and resilience you need to succeed in your business.
Remember always, keep smiling!